Friday, September 24, 2010

You gotta start somewhere...


The thing that always, always screws me up when it comes to blogging, to writing, to sharing photos of my travels, to answering e-mail, to all things online--to pretty much everything about modern life, when you get right down to it--is that the minute it gets the least bit complicated, I put it off until some hypothetical future moment when I will take the time to do it properly. And of course that moment never arrives. Sometimes the pursuit in question gets complicated, or at least feels complicated, before it even starts. And because I am a child of the early 1970s, everything in the universe seems complicated to me, so I prefer to nap instead of dealing with any of it.

Be that as it may, I am about to embark on a monthlong road trip with my husband, as we celebrate his retirement and my turning 50. This trip will be conducted via a used RV we have just purchased, along with a new motorcycle which will serve as a kind of pod when we need to leave the mothership. Every time I tell someone this, they immediately say, "I assume you are going to document this once-in-a-lifetime trip."

I've been telling myself they say this because they want to hear what I will have to say about the trip as it unfolds, because they like my writing, since writing is pretty much what I do, but it has dawned on me lately that they are really saying it because, in the 21st century, everyone documents everything they do, and you can't leave your house anymore with Checking In and Tweeting and Flickring and so forth. What they are really saying is more akin to "I assume you are going to wear pants when you are in public" than "I can't wait to hear your particular take on your travels across America at this particular moment in the nation's history." When you get right down to it, the bookstores and libraries of the nation are filled with first-person accounts of people's travels across America, because there are few things writers like to do more than drive around and then get paid to write about driving around, and then spend that money driving around some more, and so on. (As for the internet, check this out.) But hey, I want to be a good sport, and this beats sending postcards, I guess, so here goes.

As for what is so complicated here, I had an idea for the very first entry, which would be called "The Leprechaun has landed" and would show you the vehicle we are about to embark in (on Monday, god willing) and give you the back story that led up to our taking this trip, introduce the protagonists, and provide other information useful to the narrative. But no, the photo is on another camera and another computer, and I should really focus on packing instead of blogging at this point, and ... it's complicated. If I don't uncomplicate it soon, it will be November and the once-in-a-lifetime trip will be over, and I will have already forgotten 75% of what I was going to say here. As it is, I have already written at least a half dozen entries in my head, none of which would work well as the first one, and none of which are anything like this one.

Is this too self-deprecating and self-reflexive and self-involved? I actually hate writing, when you get right down to it. Too much effort! Always, always complicated.

Shit, I could really use a vacation right about now.

4 comments:

  1. Talk about complicated. I just wrote a considered and intelligent response to your post, only to have it rejected and deleted by the blogosphere. I'll try again.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, for one, am glad to know that you will be blogging this trip, not because "everybody does it" (and, yes, I can hear my mother's voice saying, "if everybody jumped off a cliff, would you want to do that, too?") but because I am looking forward to your particular (yea, even peculiar) take on the process of driving off to look for America (pace, Paul Simon).

    Happy Trails, Buckaroo!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, re your meta-comment, that is EXACTLY what I am talking about. And if that had happened to me, I wouldn't have bothered to retype it.

    But, re your (reconstructed) considered/intelligent one, I thank you for that one, too. Funny you should mention jumping off a cliff, for we hope to make it to Duluth in time for the annual Cliff Jumping contest.

    (Note: No such contest exists, as far as I know, and besides, we are not planning to go as far west or north as Duluth. But if there were, and if we were at it, would we jump? My guess is: No, but then I would write a meta-post about how we should have and didn't.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'How we love to comment about how we comment'. To add a mobius twist to the meta blabber; Ron could comment that he is NOT going to make any comments concerning this meta comment regarding Chris meta comment about attempts to respond to Ron's first blog entry. How's that fer adding knots to already twisted knickers (snicker snicker). My only other comment about all this commenting is that any other comments from me will ONLY be about Ron & Don's experiences; NOT 'How we love to comment about how we comment'. (Thus, we snip the twist in the mobius strip).

    Ron, looks like I'm your 1st official follower.

    pax, with a little lemon please.

    rojo

    ReplyDelete